Saturday, September 5, 2009

San Francisco 2009

Beth and I got to spend 5 days in San Francisco. We absolutely love the city because of the vast variety of things to do. Although the city is only 7 miles by 7 miles, there is SO much to do. When we came two years ago, we did the tourist things like ride a cable car, visit Alcatraz and visit Fisherman's Wharf, but we still barely scratched the surface.
Cupcakes!
One of the highlights of the trip was finding a store, called Kara's Cupcakes that sells only cupcakes! Beth absolutely loves cupcakes, so we had to check it out. It was like walking into a donut shop - there were so many varieties to choose from. We ponied up $9.75 to try the Vanilla Chocolate, Banana and Lemony Lemon. While they were cute and packaged in a pretty little pink box, they were just "ok" - a little plain, not worth the $3.25 ea. Beth's cupcakes are MUCH better, so perhaps one day we'll open up our own cupcake shop.

The Pacific Ocean
Last time we came, Beth journeyed over to the north side of San Fran to view the Pacific Ocean, so this time, I wanted to go. We hopped on the #38 bus and rode up to Ocean Beach and arrived at the biggest, cleanest beach I've ever seen. However, it was 5:30 p.m. and it was San Francisco, and it was COLD. I figure it was about 58 degrees, and Beth and I were wearing shorts. We couldn't complain, because it was the Pacific Ocean. Since we live on the east side of the continent, getting to see these waters are a rare treat. A little secret though - it looks the same as the Atlantic. Once we finished freezing our ass off, we determined hike up to the top of the cliff, where the park was. We had already walked about 3 miles this day, so the site of a straight up hike didn't sit well, but we did it - and it was well worth it. From the top of the cliff, there was an awesome site. I definitely recommend this to anyone visiting.

Homeless
Throughout our trip in San Francisco, we ran into many people who were homeless. I know that every city has some homeless people, but San Francisco seems to have quite an abundant number. Seeing these individuals truely make me appreciate the things I have in life. I may complain about my job, but at least I have one. I may complain about my income, but at least I can eat, and have shelter over my head. I may complain about my children and bicker with my wife, but at least I have a family to live and love. I really am blessed.
On every trip that Beth and I go to, we always buy snacks and drinks. This trip was no different. I was also in San Francisco for a conference, so I managed to collect a large number of t-shirts. We also also connected a nice supply of shampoos, mouthwash and toothpaste from the Hilton we stayed at, so at the end of our stay, we decided to collect all of the snacks we didn't eat, the toiletries we didn't need and shirts we wouldn't wear, and we put them in a bag to be given to a couple of homeless men. I know that these items were not going to change their lives, but my hope was that it would give them hope. I'm not blogging this for any praise or recognition, but in the hopes that others will consider doing the same thing the next time they visit a city. The little things can make a difference.
My business conference will be back in San Francisco in 2010. Will Beth and I attend - who knows? But if we do, I'm sure we will find more things to do.