Thursday, May 6, 2010

"Welcome to Great Clips!"

I'll be the first to admit I'm not really a people person.  I don't hate people (all the time) I just don't find myself to be chatty with strangers, so I dread the typical banter of the hair stylist.  Today I thought I was off the hook when my Great Clips stylist started off saying, "I'm not going to talk much because I'm tired."  However then she proceeded to tell me WHY she was tired.  In the 10 minutes it took to cut my hair, I found out the following:
  • the GC stylist stayed out until 1 a.m.
  • her and her husband met a friend from 30 years ago for Cinco de Mayo
  • the GC stylist only smokes 3 cigs a day, but they were stuck in the smoking section of the restaurant
  • her friend was with a date who was paying for the meal, who arrived already drunk (and they live in an apartment)
  • her friend ordered everything on the menu and the date was pissed
  • the GC stylist's husband drinks 3 beers a day
  • all Americans drink 3 beers a day, don't they?
  • she is from Venezuela
  • she learned English from Happy Days
  • she defected from Cirque du Solei to become a hair stylist
  • she gets paid by the hair
  • she's not really trained to cut hair, in fact she doesn't even work here
I don't really mind the banter, I just wonder how people do it.  Do people, like these hair stylists, really think we care, or am I just a people hater?  I suppose in the lines of profession where you service people, talking helps to pass the time.  Don't know.  Perhaps it's a skill I'll develop one day.  But I doubt it.